Candlelight Records has set May 18 as the U.S. release date for the POSSESSED tribute album, entitled "Tribute To Possessed... Seven Gates of Horror". The mid-priced recording features selections from CANNIBAL CORPSE, AMON AMARTH, VADER and many other metal notables. Included on the CD is an appearance by POSSESSED frontman Jeff Becerra as a special guest on SADISTIC INTENT's version of "The Exorcist".
No fan of early thrash and death metal can argue the impact that San Francisco's POSSESSED had on the genre. Now, well over a decade on, the band's legacy continues to evolve and grow. "Seven Churches", undoubtedly a genre best, took the then-popular thrash metal style to new levels of intensity and brutality as Becerra became the first to introduce the growling vocal style that would (and continues) to epitomize the death metal genre.
Formed in the early 80s, POSSESSED released "Seven Churches" via Combat Records in 1985. They would follow with "Beyond the Gates" and the five-song EP "The Eyes of Horror" before disbanding several years later. A best of was released, "Victims of Death", in 1993.
"Tribute To Possessed... Seven Gates of Horror" (view cover here) track listing:
01. SADISTIC INTENT – "The Exorcist" (feat. Jeff Becerra)
02. IMPIOUS - "Fallen Angel"
03. CANNIBAL CORPSE - "Confessions"
04. PENTACLE - "The Beasts of Apocalypse"
05. VADER - "Death Metal"
06. DIABOLIC - "No Will to Live"
07. GOD DETHRONED - "Satan's Curse"
08. ABSU - "Swing of the Axe"
09. SINISTER - "Storm in my Mind"
10. ANGEL CORPSE - "Burning in Hell"
11. KRABATHOR - "Evil Warriors"
12. HOUWITSER - "March to Die"
13. AMON AMARTH - "The Eyes of Horror"